From a local television station in Roanoke, Virginia comes tips from a local police department about Holiday Home Burglaries.
They warn us that holidays are a great time for thieves to break into homes.
“We’re all creatures of habit and we all get into a routine,” said crime prevention specialist Travis Akins with the Roanoke City Police Department.
- Be on the lookout for any unusual activity in their neighborhoods as we head into the holiday season.
- Don’t be so predictable. Very your routine so burglars can’t get a fix on you or your habits.
- Leaving your lights off while you travel out of town is not the best idea because it lets criminals know no one is home.
- It’s the same situation with an empty driveway. If you own more than one car, leave one parked there while you’re out of town.
- Tell your neighbors that you are leaving. Whether you ask them to collect your newspapers or just keep an eye on the house, it could prevent a crime from happening.
- If you have a security system, turn it on.
- Don’t throw the packaging away as is. “It sounds really crazy but cut the box up,” he said. “Tuck it away inside of another trash box then put it out there.”
- The value of goods taken and burglaries has been cut in half in the last year due to the security surveillance systems.
- Akins says people should avoid posting personal travel plans to social media.
Many people can’t afford to have real security cameras at their home which is why we recommend fake security cameras.
This Fake Security Camera is so realistic looking no one can tell the difference. It is housed in an actual surveillance camera it is visible during the day and at night with a red flashing LED light. It can be installed easily and quickly using the included stainless steel screws.
http://www.selfdefenseproductsinc.com has provided effective personal protection products to consumers nationwide. We offer a full-line of premium self-defense weapons such as pepper spray, stun guns, tasers, pepper mace, personal alarms and other self-defense items as well as surveillance cameras and systems for home or business security.